[GRASS-dev] wingrass and external library distribution

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Fri Oct 26 08:43:12 EDT 2007

One problem seems to be Tcl/Tk using the ActiveState license.
Currently, users need to download and install this individually as
it cannot be bundled and distributed by us.

Did anyone have any luck trying to compile against GPL'd Tcl/Tk?
For me, compilation works fine, but running GRASS from the MSYS
shell just gives me blank Tk windows without any GUI widgets.

Benjamin

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Markus,
>
> Now that we seem to go to a more or less official release of a native
> windows port, I wanted to raise a question concerning our distributing
> external library binaries with the grass binaries.
>
> As they are all (?) GPL, it should not be any problem to distribute
> them, but I guess we need to include some more information about
> copyright/left, or ? Should I add a copyright file to the distribution
> which lists the information ? What would need to be in it ?
>
> Currently, there is README.extralibs which for each library contains the
> link to its homepage and an explanation of how it was compiled. Maybe
> that is enough ?
>
> Moritz
>
> On 25/10/07 20:00, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A windows binary of the current 6.3 Release Candidate 1 is now available
>> at the wingrass download site:
>>
>> http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/wingrass/
>>
>> File: grass63RC1.zip
>>
>> As always, testers very welcome. Make sure to read the README for
>> installation, known issues and other information.
>>
>> Moritz

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany