[GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Fri Oct 26 09:13:47 EDT 2007

Adding to my message on Tcl/Tk and WinGRASS, there is a further
problem I noticed -- maybe someone else is fighting with this, too.

The 'wish' interpreter does not work on MSYS if you copy the
executable int /usr/bin (which on my system translates to
C:\msys\1.0\bin)!

It runs just fine from /mingw/bin or /usr/local/bin.

I thought my problem was the non-GPL version of Tcl/Tk, but
this seems to be it!

I'll try with the GPL libs again now, and report back later
whether we still need ActiveTcl.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> One problem seems to be Tcl/Tk using the ActiveState license.
> Currently, users need to download and install this individually as
> it cannot be bundled and distributed by us.
>
> Did anyone have any luck trying to compile against GPL'd Tcl/Tk?
> For me, compilation works fine, but running GRASS from the MSYS
> shell just gives me blank Tk windows without any GUI widgets.
>
> Benjamin
>
> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Markus,
>>
>> Now that we seem to go to a more or less official release of a native
>> windows port, I wanted to raise a question concerning our distributing
>> external library binaries with the grass binaries.
>>
>> As they are all (?) GPL, it should not be any problem to distribute
>> them, but I guess we need to include some more information about
>> copyright/left, or ? Should I add a copyright file to the distribution
>> which lists the information ? What would need to be in it ?
>>
>> Currently, there is README.extralibs which for each library contains the
>> link to its homepage and an explanation of how it was compiled. Maybe
>> that is enough ?
>>
>> Moritz
>>
>> On 25/10/07 20:00, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> A windows binary of the current 6.3 Release Candidate 1 is now available
>>> at the wingrass download site:
>>>
>>> http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/wingrass/
>>>
>>> File: grass63RC1.zip
>>>
>>> As always, testers very welcome. Make sure to read the README for
>>> installation, known issues and other information.
>>>
>>> Moritz

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany