[GRASS-dev] wingrass and external library distribution

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 23:57:15 EDT 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Now that we seem to go to a more or less official release of a native
> windows port, I wanted to raise a question concerning our distributing
> external library binaries with the grass binaries.
>
> As they are all (?) GPL, it should not be any problem to distribute
> them, but I guess we need to include some more information about
> copyright/left, or ? Should I add a copyright file to the distribution
> which lists the information ? What would need to be in it ?

* The GPL must be distributed with it. The user must know that they are given
certain rights to get/modify the code.

>From the GPL preamble:
"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights."

* AFAIK you should include the copyright files as well. If not, and you do
include one for GRASS, it would seem to the user that GRASS holds the copyright
for all the other software too. Maybe look at how GPL incorporating software
for windows like "PDFCreator" deals with this?

Hamish