[GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Oct 29 20:05:04 EDT 2007

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> > And you can run grass from within msys without integrating everying into
> > the MSYS file structure. Just open msys, and run /c/grass/bin/grass63
> > (IIRC, you need to change the definition of GISBASE in grass63 to
> > correspond to msys syntax).
>
> I don't think I understand this. That's what I have always been doing,
> but that way, NVIZ crashes and module GUIs don't pop up.
>
> Anyway, I started my GRASS binaries using cmd.exe and grass63.bat and
> everything works nicely: NVIZ runs and module forms work. So there is
> nothing wrong with the binaries I made.
> I guess I could live with that and skip the MSYS terminal window
> altogether, however there are two annoyances:
>
> 1. If I want to start a shell script from cmd.exe, I need to specify the
> path to sh.exe (or associate sh.exe with sh extensions in Windows,
> but there are plenty of scripts w/o any extension).

That's why each shell script in $GISBASE/scripts gets a corresponding
.bat file in $GISBASE/bin.

> 2. On startup, gis.m takes the input from CMD.exe and does not give it
> back. It is however possible to quit gis.m, then restart it in the
> background with gis.m & .
>
> Anyhow, editing grass63.bat by hand to suite the system dirs on every
> machine is a real nuisance. It would be much more elegant via the MSYS
> terminal window, where all DLLs and BINs are in scope the moment you
> start it up (plus you get much better command line functionality).

Unfortunately, MSys isn't compatible with Windows. The programs (and
the libraries which they use) need to use Windows functions, and those
functions need to use Windows filenames. But Windows filenames don't
work with MSys.

MSys is essentially an environment for cross-compilation. Programs
compiled using MSys/MinGW will run under Windows, but they won't
necessarily run under MSys itself. About the only things which *will*
run under MSys itself are the MSys/MinGW tools, and some command-line
programs which don't try to do anything non-trivial with filenames.