[GRASS-dev] Wingrass and TclTk

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Oct 29 09:40:22 EDT 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 29/10/07 13:52, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>> OK, I did some more testing.
>>
>> Moritz' binaries work just fine: NVIZ comes up no problem.
>> This is interesting, because I am using the same Tcl binaries
>> that my own GRASS 6.3 compilation also uses. This means
>> there is nothing wrong with Tcl/Tk itself.
>>
>> I then copied Moritz' GRASS binaries into my MSYS file structure.
>
> Just out of curiosity: why do you want to do this ? If you want to be
> able to run scripts, it should be enough to just define the path to
> sh.exe and to msys' bin/ and lib/ directories in the grass63.bat file.

True, I could copy GRASS anywhere, but for all the compilation work I
had to do, it was much easier to have grass within 'scope' of the
MSYS base dir.

> And you can run grass from within msys without integrating everying into
> the MSYS file structure. Just open msys, and run /c/grass/bin/grass63
> (IIRC, you need to change the definition of GISBASE in grass63 to
> correspond to msys syntax).

I don't think I understand this. That's what I have always been doing,
but that way, NVIZ crashes and module GUIs don't pop up.

Anyway, I started my GRASS binaries using cmd.exe and grass63.bat and
everything works nicely: NVIZ runs and module forms work. So there is
nothing wrong with the binaries I made.
I guess I could live with that and skip the MSYS terminal window
altogether, however there are two annoyances:

1. If I want to start a shell script from cmd.exe, I need to specify the
path to sh.exe (or associate sh.exe with sh extensions in Windows,
but there are plenty of scripts w/o any extension).

2. On startup, gis.m takes the input from CMD.exe and does not give it
back. It is however possible to quit gis.m, then restart it in the
background with gis.m & .

Anyhow, editing grass63.bat by hand to suite the system dirs on every
machine is a real nuisance. It would be much more elegant via the MSYS
terminal window, where all DLLs and BINs are in scope the moment you
start it up (plus you get much better command line functionality).

Benjamin

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik