[GRASS-dev] GRASS printing

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Sep 5 10:14:04 EDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 1:17 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> I did some experimentation with the lpr part of mapprint.tcl
> tonight. I'm
> thinking that maybe I've done this before and come up with the same
> result--and that is why I turned to ghostscript.
>
> TclTk will output to a PS file that looks just fine when I open it.
>
> However, just sending this to lpr (>>lpr file.ps) gives a very poor
> result.
> The map is up against the upper right edges of the page, rather
> than being
> centered. It is clipped on all edges but the bottom and clipped a
> significant amount on the left side of the map (a side which is NOT
> against
> the edge of a page).
>
> Is there something I'm missing in sending this to lpr?
>
> Michael

What about job options?  The CUPS manual has better documentation
than the lpr man page.  Check http://localhost:631/documentation.html.

A mismatch of the document orientation and the job orientation can
cause odd clipping.  And default position is probably upper-left, but
again orientation can cause trouble, rotation said upper left to
another corner.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war