[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Sep 6 19:01:12 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07 1:08 PM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> Ah, got it on the first try (Color Laserjet 8550).  I used:
>
> lpr -o position=center mapout.ps

I tried that first and it didn't work. So I added the margin settings, which
equally did nothing. This suggests to me that the problems might well be in
my printer and setup. This will make it very difficult to test any updates
to the mapprint.tcl module.

If I make a change (I think I'll just use the -o position-center setting
like you did) and send the file to you, can you drop it in and try it out?

Michael

> I figured that the left/right/top/bottom params were unnecessary
> since the center param would set those implicitly.
>
> When I opened it in Preview, the message about converting PS to PDF
> tells me that that is probably why it works from Preview to the Epson
> - the Epson drivers, or maybe CUPS, can render PDF (the core of the
> OSX display system, and much if not all of the printing, is PDF-
> based).  And many modern printers support PDF natively.
>
> Maybe if you can generate a PDF from Tcl and pass that to lpr?
>
> Or look at that Gimp/Guten-print driver for your Epson.
>
> On Sep 6, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> William,
>>
>> I've put the PS map into
>> . Let me know if
>> you can get it to print nicely on your HP.
>>
>> Michael
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
> fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
> deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
> weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
> slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
> lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....
>
> - the wisdom of Tarzan

Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213