[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] need help with mac os x installation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 7 00:50:49 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07 9:12 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> lpr (lpd) should take .ps output directly regardless of the printer
> being PostScript enabled or not. If not PS enabled, the driver takes care
> of translating it.
>
> I expect the ps -> png conversion is done at the bounding box not the
> page size, which crops off the margins from the original print and resets
> the .png image to the top corner. PostScript coords are given in inches
> from the corner of the page. PNG files are like a GRASS x,y location with
> a 0,0 corner. ie by doing the conversion you are throwing away the
> "georeferencing" in the PS file.

Actually the problem was the other way around. I got good results sending
the PNG to lpr but bad results sending the PS file to lpr.

Interestingly, William Kyngesbury tried the same PS file on a different
printer and it looked fine. So it may be a function my Epson inkjet here at
home. If so, this will make it difficult for me to test changes to the print
routines in TclTk.

Michael

> see earlier discussions about the meaning of PostScript/EPS bounding
> boxes WRT r.out.file & the EPS driver.
>

> ?
> Hamish

Director of Graduate Studies