[GRASS-dev] v.in.dwg: status in GRASS 6.2.2, DWGdirect, etc.

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Sep 15 13:57:46 EDT 2007

brush wrote:

> thanks, glynn, for the quick response.  some more comments and questions
> inline:
>
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 03:37:26AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> > 1. v.in.dwg is the only module available
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> > 2. it can only be used by compiling from source
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>> The licences for GRASS and the OpenDWG library are incompatible, so
>> it's impossible to distribute a binary which satisfies both licences.
>
> understood.  the ideal scenario in this situation, of course, would be
> some kind of "one step" integrability in which, once a user has obtained
> the library source from the opendesign alliance, v.in.dwg would be
> compiled and integrated automatically with GRASS.
>
>> > 4. the approach is to unarchive the Toolkit into a folder, and then to
>> > run ./configure like so:
>> >
>> >    ./configure \
>> >    ... \
>> >    --with-opendwg \
>> >    --with-opendwg-includes=/home/usr1/opendwg27 \
>> >    --with-opendwg-libs=/home/usr1/opendwg27
>>
>> You need to build the OpenDWG library first.
>
> really?  both some (original?) versions of the v.in.dwg instructions,
> and the opendwg toolkit manuals, seem to imply that the .h and .a
> libraries (really just 4 files) are already built, and just need to be
> linked into v.in.dwg's compilation.  am i missing something?

Yes: these files you have to obtain from the OpenDesign Alliance.
AFAIK we could distribute binaries of v.in.dwg if there were dynamic
DWGDirect libraries available, but they aren't (at least not some months
ago). Since they only provide static libraries (.a instead of .so), they get
compiled into GRASS and hence fall under the "no distribution" restriction.

Maybe you can convince the OpenDesign Alliance to also make
dynamic libraries available?

Markus