[GRASS-dev] v.in.dwg: status in GRASS 6.2.2, DWGdirect, etc.

brush brush at tryonfarm.org
Sat Sep 15 16:31:53 EDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 09:20:29PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Yes: these files you have to obtain from the OpenDesign Alliance.
> > AFAIK we could distribute binaries of v.in.dwg if there were dynamic
> > DWGDirect libraries available, but they aren't (at least not some months
> > ago). Since they only provide static libraries (.a instead of .so), they get
> > compiled into GRASS and hence fall under the "no distribution" restriction.
>
> It doesn't make any difference whether the libraries are static or
> dynamic.
>
> Unless you can supply the OpenDWG/DWGDirect source code under a
> GPL-compatible licence, you cannot distribute a binary which is linked
> (statically or dynamically) against both the GRASS libraries and the
> DWG libraries.

would it be possible to create a standalone binary that converts from
DWG into GRASS-internal data structures, which could be accessed if it
exists from inside GRASS?  then this binary could have a licensing
structure separate from GPL.

this would make it a lot easier to separately maintain and compile that
code in a one-click fashion, reducing the barrier to use.

does this make sense?

.b