[GRASS-dev] BLAS/LAPACK detection (was: configure fails)

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Sep 23 17:23:54 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 20:59 +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Trying to compile under mingw, I get the following error during configure:
>
> "checking whether the Fortran 77 compiler (gfortran
> -Wl,--export-dynamic,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: Fortran 77
> compiler cannot create executables"

Please send me your config.log.  It looks like you may have specified
'--with-g77' and it detected 'gfortran'.  Try using '--with-gfortran'
instead?

> I see that this is related to Brad's and Markus' changes of today. Does
> this mean that the fortran compiler in mingw is not sufficient ? Or is
> this an error in the configure file ? Also, do I absolutely need a fortran
> complier ?
> For what ?

For now, no, you don't need a working Fortran compiler.

Fortran is required for certain versions of BLAS/LAPACK.  There are
other equivalents that may be more forgiving like ATLAS, PhiPACK,
CBLAS/CLAPACK.

My changes were meant to expand BLAS/LAPACK detection.  It should detect
traditional BLAS/LAPACK, CBLAS/CLAPACK, ATLAS, PhiPACK, and Apple's
compatible vector library.

Parts of lib/gmath and modules may eventually rely on some form of
BLAS/LAPACK being installed.  This is an effort to consolidate linear
algebra code spread throughout GRASS, remove Numerical Recipies code,
provide a better API, and deliver performance enhancements.

Code not requiring BLAS/LAPACK is also being investigated, but may not
support all functions.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785