[GRASS-dev] py2exe

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Sep 27 03:36:46 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 19:05 +1200, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just noticed this in Ken Sanderson's abstract for the FOSS4G conference,
> maybe it is interesting for someone who one day packages the new wx GUI
> for windows,
>
> py2exe: "py2exe is a Python Distutils extension which converts Python
> scripts into executable Windows programs, able to run without requiring a
> Python installation."
>
> http://www.py2exe.org

Interesting, but I'm not terribly thrilled with another translation
layer, possibly making it difficult to determine where GUI bugs actually
came from.

FYI, Microsoft has the ability to read and compile[1] Python natively
in .NET 2.x, but suffers from the same issue as above:
http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython

I just hope they don't try to do to Python what they did to Java.

[1] Compiles into .NET bytecode

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>