[GRASS-dev] impending wiki spam bombing

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 04:12:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

I notice over the last day or two a high number of seemingly randomly
generated new user accounts on our wiki site. We can ban these fake
users as they come and hope we don't hit anyone real, but at 10/day
it becomes an ugly chore, time sink, and demotivator. Up til now we've
been getting a few suspect accounts at the rate of around 1/week but no
automated spam.

We are up to 908 users registered, most appear to be spambot accounts,
but only 41 have been manually blocked.

There are apparently plans afoot to upgrade the wiki software on the
server, hopefully the new version will contain stronger capcha mechanisms
to weed out the jerks and we can spend more time on useful work.
Hopefully it can easily rank and remove bogus accounts instead of just
blocking them.

to combat wiki spam we need to keep an eye on the recent changes page,
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Special:Recentchanges

thanks,
Hamish