[GRASS-dev] g.mapsets revision 30712

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 19:59:45 EDT 2008

Glynn wrote:
> FWIW:
>
> > +    opt3->key        = "delmapset" ;
>
> I was going to call the option that, then decided that "remove" is
> more accurate than "delete".

agreed

> Also, I'm not sure what the policy is (or even if there is a policy)
> on using abbreviations in option names. For a single word, it's normal
> to used the complete word, as option names can be abbreviated. For
> multiple words, it's more awkward.

I expect understanding options for non-English speakers is hard enough,
trying to decipher abbreviated English option names would be much worse.
IMO underscores are nice between words for readability, but which ever
way is chosen, consistency is more important.

Lower case seems to be standard for options (exception: r.terraflow [fix
for GRASS 7])
There are some old modules (r.stats) which use upper case for flags.

> If it wasn't for the fact that addmapset= already exists, it would
> have been better to just have add= and remove= (or delete=). The
> "mapset" in the option names is redundant, IMHO.

agreed. maybe flag in the code as something for GRASS 7.