[GRASS-dev] GRASS_BATCH_JOB vs GUI

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Apr 5 23:27:07 EDT 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 9:52 PM, Hamish wrote:

> the first thing I do after installing X11 on Mac OSX is to stop it
> from
> launching a xterm upon X11 startup.

We got that straightened out - Joe forgot to do that (it's mentioned
in the OSX readme).

I also worked out some improvements in the app startup script to
minimize the X11 focus switching.  Now it doesn't "open" (*) X11 if
it's already running, thus avoiding a focus switch.  It also records
which term application the script is running in (**) and returns focus
to that.

So now, starting X11 before GRASS (ie on login), or just leaving it
running after the first run of GRASS, seems to work well.

(*) 'open' runs an OSX application, and since an OSX application
normally can only have one instance running, it only activates it when
it's already running.  I used this as a shortcut to checking if it's
running in the startup script.

(**) If run from a double-click or drag-n-drop, GRASS.app will always
use Terminal.app, but the grass script, as Joe is doing, could be run
directly from a different term app such as xterm or iTerm.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin