[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 to be released

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 03:49:28 EDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Markus Neteler wrote:

> (to continue on this thread)
>
> After 6 release candidates, even tested on MS-Windows,
> I don't see any real blockers any more. I suggest to get out
> 6.3.0 this week and proceed with change to 6.4.release_branch/7.0.svn.

Yes go for it I say; 6.3.0 is not a stable release and everything does
not have to be perfect, but may I suggest that the new branch for
continued 6.x development be called develbranch_6 and that a 6.4 release
branch be created off there at a future date?

As some parts of GRASS will likely cease to exist in the 7.x HEAD I think
it is likely that there will still be some opportunity for development and
improvement of backward-compatible things in 6.x for some time to come.
E.g. should I end up mentoring a Google Summer of Code student I will
certainly recommend that he work in 6.x to avoid extra disruption caused
by the 7.x upheaval - and changes can be forward-ported to 7.x later.

Paul