R: R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 to be released

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Wed Apr 16 04:36:02 EDT 2008

Hi Moritz,

>It really is not difficult to download and install the
python installers...

yes, I agree.... but: when I think to softwares packaging I always keep in my mind all the experiences *collected* during the years with many users, specially here at my university... specially among teachers and researchers. It's a consolidated fact, here in my country, that not electronic engineers, specially civil and environmental ones, have a *bad relationships* with calculators and softwares in general (except with CAD softwares, supposed that they are easy to install...). Since the main target of GIS software is, I guess, exactly this category of professionals (along with geologists)[1], I believe that they would have difficulties, specially on Windows (where users are used to install only self-contained, full-featured packages), to *understand* exactly what to do; there's the possibility (note, this is only a personal point of view, but based on direct experience with windows users) that they would not consider to use GRASS because it's too difficult to install, thus moving to not-opened GIS platforms.

>The only thing we could consider is to add an option to automatically
download and install the python stuff, but not add it to our installer
directly.

this would be a very good solution, but I still need to understand how to do that in a *clean* and tidy manner, 100% working on both XP and Vista (OT: on xext week I'll probably buy a new PC, with Vista installed, so I'll can test also on Vista).

Marco

[1] you could not believe that, but here at my university teachers don't know/use GIS softwares... this said, it's a main target of my future plans, after the degree on July, to *spread* the opend GIS (that is GRASS) *word* here ;-)