R: R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 to be released

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Apr 16 09:07:03 EDT 2008

On 16/04/08 10:41, marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
> Glynn,
>
>  >I would suggest two installers: one for GRASS alone, and one for the
> various dependencies (PROJ, GDAL, MSys, ...). The idea is that you
> shouldn't have to download all of the dependencies each time a new
> version of GRASS is released.
> we could do as follows:
>
> 1. a *complete*, *first time* GRASS installer, based on latest release,
> with all the dependencies built-in
> 2. and *updater*, installed along the *first installation*, that check
> the WinGRASS repository looking for last GRASS updates, and
> download/install only the latest updated files (both for GRASS and
> dependencies). It would be not an easy work, but I think that I'll can
> do it... even if not very soon :-)

This actually sounds much more sophisticated than what Glynn proposed.
Could you not simply propose one installer with only the latest
(complete) GRASS binaries. This installer could check for any existing
installation of GRASS and propose to erase that before installing the
new version, or install the new version next to the old.

The question then is: do we need a "complete" installer with everything
in it (as you suggest), or can we impose the burden of two installers on
people, i.e. as Glynn suggests: one GRASS installer + one Dependencies
installer. I think this would be the best solution for us, but it would
mean that at least for the first installation, users will have to
install two packages. If the GRASS installer could test for the
installation of the other package and propose to download it and lauch
its installation autmagically, then this might be the best solution.

But you're the one doing the work, so the ultimate decision will be
yours ;-)

Moritz