R: R: [GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 to be released

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 09:31:19 EDT 2008

I would vote for a lean base installer to be distributed on
grass.itc.it. Other projects can build fatter installers based
on that and distribute them. A bare bones installer will be
much easier to maintain for us in the long run.

Benjamin

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 16/04/08 10:41, marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
>> Glynn,
>>
>>  >I would suggest two installers: one for GRASS alone, and one for the
>> various dependencies (PROJ, GDAL, MSys, ...). The idea is that you
>> shouldn't have to download all of the dependencies each time a new
>> version of GRASS is released.
>> we could do as follows:
>>
>> 1. a *complete*, *first time* GRASS installer, based on latest
>> release, with all the dependencies built-in
>> 2. and *updater*, installed along the *first installation*, that check
>> the WinGRASS repository looking for last GRASS updates, and
>> download/install only the latest updated files (both for GRASS and
>> dependencies). It would be not an easy work, but I think that I'll can
>> do it... even if not very soon :-)
>
> This actually sounds much more sophisticated than what Glynn proposed.
> Could you not simply propose one installer with only the latest
> (complete) GRASS binaries. This installer could check for any existing
> installation of GRASS and propose to erase that before installing the
> new version, or install the new version next to the old.
>
> The question then is: do we need a "complete" installer with everything
> in it (as you suggest), or can we impose the burden of two installers on
> people, i.e. as Glynn suggests: one GRASS installer + one Dependencies
> installer. I think this would be the best solution for us, but it would
> mean that at least for the first installation, users will have to
> install two packages. If the GRASS installer could test for the
> installation of the other package and propose to download it and lauch
> its installation autmagically, then this might be the best solution.
>
> But you're the one doing the work, so the ultimate decision will be
> yours ;-)
>
> Moritz

Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES