[GRASS-dev] 6.3.0 is out! please prepare binaries...

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 19:11:23 EDT 2008

> > > - backport of missing scripts as needed for Windows native (todo)
Hamish:
> > that means that help page index building script needs to be edited to
> > ignore p.* and the other modules. Otherwise you get an unwanted
> > "Paint Modules" section in the module section list, and duplicates
> > in the other sections. ... ugliness.

Glynn:
> Do you want p.out.vrml or not?

I want a low-profile "happens to work" feature which will allow the new
release to be backwards compatible with scripts written for GRASS 6.0 and
6.2. I don't want new users to use the old names or be confused by them,
hence leaving them out of the help index. It seemed to me that was the
sort of thing that the symlink/alias/shortcut was invented for.

If they are to be scripts they should include something like:
  g.message -w "renamed; use foo instead"
so people get the message tp update their scripts/brains.

> If it exists in any form (symlink, script, copy, whatever), there
> should be an entry for it in the paint section.
>
> OTOH, if you want to kill of that section for good, simply don't
> provide p.out.vrml in any form.

I disagree. I don't really want to get too hung up on p.out.vrml, it is a
bit of an oddity -- it has nothing to do with old GRASS 5 paint commands.
That it was not named r.out.vrml when ported to GRASS 6 was a bug. Anyway
VRML is mostly obsolete, so this module is less important now.
It isn't a paint command, and creating a special index page and paint
section just for it in all the full/raster/vector/display/etc. help page
indexes is just silly and confusing. It does more harm than good.

The really important one to talk about is r.cats, many people will have
that in scripts and expect it to still work. (FWIW, IIRC the mailing list
question which set all this off was about a wingrass user asking where
r.cats went) Note r.category is r.cats+. r.cats was read-only, r.category
is read-write.

r31078 doesn't stop the man pages for the 3 scripts from being created or
being installed, it just stops them from appearing in full_index.html et
al.  ie it lowers their profile, puts them behind a curtain, whatever.
that's all I ask.

Hamish