[GRASS-dev] GSoC, reimplementation of modules v.voronoi and v.delaunay

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Thu Apr 24 04:03:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

Ehh.. I easily make the mistake of replying directly. I'm bringing this
back to the list, since I feel it will interest all of the community.

On 24.04.2008 10:54, Martin Pavlovsky wrote:
> Thank you for the warm welcome.
>
> I think that having only one module has many advantages in different
> perspectives. Since VD and DT are so closely related, I presume that
> more than 70% of the code would be very similar for both modules if they
> were separated. This replication would be avoided by joining them
> together. The relationship between VD and DT would be more obvious for
> the user if there was a single module named "v.voronoi_delaunay" or sth
> similar. User will choose VD or DT by setting parameters, it seems to me
> as the most natural way. This DT -> VD and VD -> DT conversion is very
> important feature which is lacking in current implementation, I am all
> for it. One disadvantage of having only one module might be slightly
> steeper learning curve, but I don't see it as a major obstacle.

I agree. It is better to have it as one module. I wonder what would be a
good name. v.voronoi.delauny seems a bit awkward but very obvious. I
can't think of a better name. Anybody else have some idea?

Another way to handle it would be to make two modules, but re-use that
70% by having it in a library or something.

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>