[GRASS-dev] SVN version number

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 09:29:16 EDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Paul Kelly
> <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>  Updating from SVN this morning I see that the version number is now 6.4.svn
>> - I'm not sure if that's right? I thought it should be 6.3.svn until a
>> release branch for 6.4 is created, and the version number on that branch
>> will be 6.4.svn. At that point the version on develbranch_6, which will be
>> in operation by then, will become 6.5.svn (although there might not ever be
>> any 6.5 releases, similar to 5.5).
>>  It is all a bit confusing though since we've started partially abandoning
>> the odd-development/stable-release system.
>
> that's not intended.

Oh; I understood that it was. See:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032687.html
and
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2007-August/032705.html

Nobody else replied there apart from Glynn and I but I took that as
meaning there was agreement, on what has become a complicated subject!

> Obviously, trunk needs to be changes to 7.0.svn.
>
> We should fork the 6.4 now, called "develbranch_6". From that,
> in future, "releasebranch_6_4" will be forked.

I just don't understand why the change to 6.4 numbering now - I thought
there might have been more 6.3 versions before we create the release
branch.

> I vote for doing it now.

If you're talking about creating develbranch_6 and making the version
number in the trunk 7.0.svn, I'm in agreement with that too.

Paul