[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 04:40:24 EDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Michael Barton wrote:

> Martin
>
> Maybe I misunderstand this process, but I'm confused by this suggestion.
>
> Why take the wxPython GUI out of the GRASS 7 trunk? My understanding is that
> we can develop for 6.4 in the 6.4 branch, and as needed develop for 7 in
> that branch. Because the GUI operates at a relatively high level--i.e.,
> simply a wrapper for GRASS commands in most cases, there will be much that
> can simply be done in parallel or via porting across branches
>
> My suggestion would be to take /gui/tcltk out of trunk and leave
> /gui/wxpython in. It's the TclTk interface that is going away.

This makes sense to me too. I thought development of wxpython GUI in 6.x
would stop now - that it being developed there was just because we didn't
have a separate repository for 7.x. My understanding has been:

TclTk GUI = legacy stable GUI for 6.x
WxPython GUI = futuristic development GUI for 7.x

(I don't meant to imply the wxpython GUI isn't working nicely and usable
with 6.x now, just that I thought that was a "side-effect"...) I guess
this is from an "outsider's perspective" really, as I haven't been working
on the GUI apart from a few bugfixes to gis.m. But having it like this
also makes it very clear and logical from a user's perspective which is
important in relation to the expectations they will have from different
versions of GRASS IMHO.

Paul