[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 development started

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:41:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

2008/4/28 Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>:
Michael:
> > Maybe I misunderstand this process, but I'm confused by this suggestion.
> >
> > Why take the wxPython GUI out of the GRASS 7 trunk? My understanding is
> that
> > we can develop for 6.4 in the 6.4 branch, and as needed develop for 7 in
> > that branch. Because the GUI operates at a relatively high level--i.e.,
> > simply a wrapper for GRASS commands in most cases, there will be much that
> > can simply be done in parallel or via porting across branches
> >
> > My suggestion would be to take /gui/tcltk out of trunk and leave
> > /gui/wxpython in. It's the TclTk interface that is going away.

Paul:
>  This makes sense to me too. I thought development of wxpython GUI in 6.x
> would stop now - that it being developed there was just because we didn't
> have a separate repository for 7.x. My understanding has been:
>
>  TclTk GUI = legacy stable GUI for 6.x
>  WxPython GUI = futuristic development GUI for 7.x

I agree with you, anyway I still incline to use for wxGUI development
develbranch_6 for the short period. My initial idea was:

1) to remove gui/wxpython from trunk (or just to 'freeze', i.e. don't
backport from develbranch_6) and use develbranch_6 for wxGUI
development
2) after creating releasebranch_6_4 move wxGUI development to trunk a
backport to develbranch_6/releasebranch_6_4 only bugfixes (depends how
much will be trunk "stable")

>  (I don't meant to imply the wxpython GUI isn't working nicely and usable
> with 6.x now, just that I thought that was a "side-effect"...) I guess this
> is from an "outsider's perspective" really, as I haven't been working on the
> GUI apart from a few bugfixes to gis.m. But having it like this also makes
> it very clear and logical from a user's perspective which is important in
> relation to the expectations they will have from different versions of GRASS
> IMHO.

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *