[GRASS-dev] default icon set in wxGUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 13 12:19:14 EDT 2008

Maciej Sieczka wrote:

> OK. I see Michael's points. One thing though:
>
> > Also, while the GRASS icons may seem large to some,
>
> They are too large.

That depends upon your monitor resolution. Icons need to have
sufficient pixels and also need to be physically large enough on
screen. On a low resolution monitor, the pixel size tends to be the
limiting factor; on a high resolution monitor, the physical size is
the limiting factor.

Ideally, you would have icons available in a range of pixel sizes, and
select the size based upon the monitor resolution, monitor size and
your eyesight. Windows has 16, 24, 32 and 48-pixel versions of most of
the shell icons, while Gnome/KDE apps tend to have 16, 22, 24, 32, 48
and 64 pixel versions.

> Example: in digitizer half of the tools are not
> visible unless you manually extend the window width.

That's a bug (or maybe a limitation in wxPython, but I don't think
so). A window's minimum size should be sufficient for all of its
subwindows to obtain their minimum size and to be visible.

> This hampers
> usability. Is there a way to deal with that? Like automatically adjust
> windows sizes to accomodate all the icons which are supposed to be visible?

This ought to be possible. wx.Window has SetSizerAndFit(), which
causes the Sizer's minimum size to be propagated up to the WM, so the
WM won't normally allow the window to be any smaller.