[GRASS-dev] Re: r.external

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 27 13:18:52 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Is the f_quant file also necessary?
>
> Good question:
>
>  GRASS_VERSION (patUTM):~ > d.rast pat_dtm_5m
> PNG: GRASS_TRUECOLOR status: FALSE
> PNG: collecting to file: map.png,
> GRASS_WIDTH=640, GRASS_HEIGHT=480
>
> WARNING: quantization file [pat_dtm_5m] in mapset [neteler] missing

Probably harmless, but it's easy enough to create it; done in r33121.

> BTW: could GRASS_TRUECOLOR status be TRUE per default?

Changed in r33122 (code) and r33123 (documentation).

I think it's fair to assume that the original motivation for
defaulting to FALSE (compatibility with the GD-based version) is no
longer relevant.

The cairo driver (which will replace the PNG driver at some point)
doesn't even have the option of generating paletted output.