[GRASS-dev] 6.4rc1

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:17:34 EST 2008

Hi,
I'm following a bit GRASS 7 development via trac timeline and for me
GRASS 7.0 seems to be yet far, far away. Taking into account our
development speed, it seems more like 1-2 years till final stable
release. Unless magic happens and we get bunch of some die-hard
programmes that address all v/r lib issues (and I'm not such kind of
person). So - I think, that 6.4.x will not be last 6.x release, as we
need to provide new features/bugfixes while 7.0 is not production
ready. Competition in GIS area is just heating up and thus we can not
say to endusers "just wait year or more...".
Also I propose after 6.4 branching change develbranch_6 version to
6.4.80 (we can make some x.x.8x feature releases and x.x.9x
betas/rc's) to avoid situation like it's now with 6.4.0 - no more
numbers for feature releases/rc's/betas. The point - we should avoid
unnecessary branching, as managing branches is taking much of some
important person time (yes, Markus, that's You).

Yes, I *love* to troll! Don't feed me ;)

Maris.