[GRASS-dev] 6.4rc1

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 2 00:17:48 EST 2008

Maris Nartiss wrote:

> I'm following a bit GRASS 7 development via trac timeline and for me
> GRASS 7.0 seems to be yet far, far away. Taking into account our
> development speed, it seems more like 1-2 years till final stable
> release. Unless magic happens and we get bunch of some die-hard
> programmes that address all v/r lib issues (and I'm not such kind of
> person). So - I think, that 6.4.x will not be last 6.x release, as we
> need to provide new features/bugfixes while 7.0 is not production
> ready. Competition in GIS area is just heating up and thus we can not
> say to endusers "just wait year or more...".

Alternatively, we can make 6.4 the last 6.x release, start getting 7.0
ready for release, and make 8.0 the really-unstable branch.

It all depends upon how much new stuff we want in 7.0.

Note that there probably isn't all that much stuff which is "broken"
in 7.0. Most of the things which work in 6.4 but don't work in 7.0 are
dead and buried.