[GRASS-dev] Re: v.category: opt=del was changed

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 05:01:49 EST 2008

Hi,

2008/12/7 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
> Maciek:
>> > default all categories should be selected. I don't see a reason to
>> > change the default behaviour in GRASS 7 either.
>
> Martin:
>> new behaviour can be useful if you want to remove not all categories,
>> but only selected one (well, you can always use v.edit for that).
>

> perhaps we should better define what the modules are supposed to do.
> v.edit is clearly for incisive/targeted edits to a vector map, so at
> the other end we could promote v.category as the general purpose/bulk
> category maintenance tool. This would mean less for learning curve
> required, and less opportunity for new user confusion.
> In the same vein I wonder if the new v.cat ids= option offers anything new;
> IMO such raw/low-level stuff should be held for advanced use in v.edit.
> e.g. the v.cat module description explains what the cat is by calling it
> a type of ID number. And then we provide both cat= and and ids= options.

v.category seems to be designed to edit vector layer categories
globally (all features in given layer). I have added 'id' parameter
because of v.edit-based wxGUI digitizer. This part has been already
removed from wxGUI. So not needed any more. From this perspective,
'id' parameter could be removed from v.category. If user want to
add/delete category(ies) only for subset of features v.edit can be
used.

>From this point of view I would suggest to remove 'id' parameter from
v.category and change 'del' in G7 to delete categories globally in
given layer.

Martin

--
Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *