[GRASS-dev] Re: v.category: opt=del was changed

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 23:03:02 EST 2008

Maciek:
> > default all categories should be selected. I don't see a reason to
> > change the default behaviour in GRASS 7 either.

Martin:
> new behaviour can be useful if you want to remove not all categories,
> but only selected one (well, you can always use v.edit for that).

perhaps we should better define what the modules are supposed to do.
v.edit is clearly for incisive/targeted edits to a vector map, so at
the other end we could promote v.category as the general purpose/bulk
category maintenance tool. This would mean less for learning curve
required, and less opportunity for new user confusion.

In the same vein I wonder if the new v.cat ids= option offers anything new;
IMO such raw/low-level stuff should be held for advanced use in v.edit.
e.g. the v.cat module description explains what the cat is by calling it
a type of ID number. And then we provide both cat= and and ids= options.
What's a non-ultra-power user to think?

I've now added a line in the help page to explain cat=

2c,
Hamish