[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS Version for Release

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 15 07:48:02 EST 2008

Hamish wrote:
> Glynn:
>
>> Is #73 actually a bug, or simply noting that programs which
>> claim to support "TIFF" invariably only support a (usually
>> unspecified) subset of the TIFF standard?
>>

> It's really a bug. The heart of it is us not enforcing data type limits.
> We are silently allowing the output out of bounds values for cells of
> a given data type/size.  see raster/r.out.gdal/local_proto.h

But it is possible to export GRASS rasters in a way and format that most
other applications can read and display, now that colortable export can
be disabled. The user can check data type limits in the man page and the
range of the raster to be exported and choose an appropriate data type.
GRASS can not account for all limitations in all other GIS packages
(colortable, compression method...), but it does offer a lot of control
over the export format. Enforcing data type limits will make sure (again
by the module) that the full range of raster data is actually exported,
the lack of it doesn't mean that raster export necessarily results in
unusable raster files.

Added my 2 cents,

Markus M