[GRASS-dev] Re: GRASS Version for Release

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 23:52:17 EST 2008

Markus:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_6.4_Feature_Plan#RC1
> >
> > "Only" 6 blocker/critical bugs are left:
> > Are they are really critical bugs which block RC1?

Glynn:
> Don't count on #58 or #72 being fixed any time soon.

funny, in a mailibf lisr archives search I find that my first post to
grass-dev (and subsequent CVS snadu) mentioned #72 PNG driver off-by-one
issues,
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/154/

> Is #73 actually a bug, or simply noting that programs which
> claim to support "TIFF" invariably only support a (usually
> unspecified) subset of the TIFF standard?

It's really a bug. The heart of it is us not enforcing data type limits.
We are silently allowing the output out of bounds values for cells of
a given data type/size.  see raster/r.out.gdal/local_proto.h

the bug report has gotten quite long, so could probably do with a
resummarization of the current situation.

for now just start reading at comment 20; colr/ stuff is "mostly*" done.
  http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/73#comment:20

"nodata must be set to something valid, otherwise the module doesn't know how to write out NULL values when it comes to them. It can't just skip them and nan is not an option for int maps. Thus, as you proposed, in the case where nodata= is out of range for the data type the module should exit with an error."

etc.

* (mostly done: if you pass GDAL createopts to make a bare-bones GeoTIFF
GRASS doesn't know about it and still writes translated color table rule
metadata)

Hamish