[GRASS-dev] Python 3 or Python 2.6?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Dec 16 10:34:45 EST 2008

Martin Landa wrote:

> > I'm updating the GRASS build environment for MS Windows, and looking for
> > some news in the dependencies I found that Python is currently shipped in
> > two versions: 2.6.1 and 3.
> > What should I install? Thanks,
>
> 2.6.x for sure. Python 3 is not supported.

And probably won't be soon. Or ever (we would do better moving to
another language than to Python 3).

Python 3 is a disaster on non-Windows systems due to an outbreak of
Unicode fundamentalism. E.g. you can't get the original byte strings
for argv[], only the Unicode versions (*if* it manages to convert them
to Unicode; if any argv[i] isn't text in your locale's encoding, you
lose).