[GRASS-dev] nviz python thoughts

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Dec 20 23:33:42 EST 2008

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> >> I was thinking that all Python stuff (yes, I know it's experimental)
> >> that compiles and runs on OSX should be so without fuss for the 6.4
> >> release.  In particular NVIZ.  Currently, to get libnviz to compile
> >> we
> >> must disable/delete render.c, which makes the not-working-yet-on-OSX
> >> nviz_cmd fail to compile.
> >>
> >> If only nviz_cmd needs the render.c functions, could render.c be
> >> moved
> >> to the nviz_cmd folder?  This would let libnviz compile on OSX and
> >> make the wx GUI nviz operational.  nviz_cmd would still fail to
> >> compile as expected, without affecting the GUI nviz compilation.
> >
> > Only nviz_cmd needs it at the moment, but the code is sufficiently
> > general that it belongs in the library.
> >
> > Remind me: what is the specific problem with compiling it on OSX?
>

> Opening and drawing into a Mac OpenGL window.  In all the other past
> and present forms, we've had some generic window system to use (Togl,
> Tk, wxPython), but it looks like this one is more low-level.
>
> I wonder if it can be made to require and use wxPython, just like the
> GUI version of nviz (but without the rest of the GUI)?

1. It's not trying to draw into a window, but a pixmap or similar
off-screen surface, so that the image can be saved into a file,
without any of the crud (tooltips, mouse cursor, etc) which you might
get from drawing to a window then grabbing it.

2. We don't need to get it to run, just compile. We just need to
ensure that the functions which are called actually exist and that
values have the correct types. If you can't figure out what the
correct syntax is, just remove (or put "#if 0 ..." around) any parts
that cause compilation errors. Removing the entire file is overkill.

3. The last record I can find of this discussion was back in July:

http://www.mail-archive.com/grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org/msg04540.html

Some suggestions were made, but I'm not sure if anyone actually tried
them.

4. I still don't know what the *actual* error is.