[GRASS-dev] nviz python thoughts

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Dec 20 11:52:17 EST 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that all Python stuff (yes, I know it's experimental)
>> that compiles and runs on OSX should be so without fuss for the 6.4
>> release.  In particular NVIZ.  Currently, to get libnviz to compile
>> we
>> must disable/delete render.c, which makes the not-working-yet-on-OSX
>> nviz_cmd fail to compile.
>>
>> If only nviz_cmd needs the render.c functions, could render.c be
>> moved
>> to the nviz_cmd folder?  This would let libnviz compile on OSX and
>> make the wx GUI nviz operational.  nviz_cmd would still fail to
>> compile as expected, without affecting the GUI nviz compilation.
>
> Only nviz_cmd needs it at the moment, but the code is sufficiently
> general that it belongs in the library.
>
> Remind me: what is the specific problem with compiling it on OSX?

Opening and drawing into a Mac OpenGL window.  In all the other past
and present forms, we've had some generic window system to use (Togl,
Tk, wxPython), but it looks like this one is more low-level.

I wonder if it can be made to require and use wxPython, just like the
GUI version of nviz (but without the rest of the GUI)?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war