R: [GRASS-dev] Re: Building GRASS/QGIS with MSYS

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Feb 5 06:35:00 EST 2008

> Probably last "./configure" and "sed" lines are supposed to be done if
> you set ./configure --with-libtool in the first step?

Yes, that's what I would assume. Without libtool, you have to to delete
the static libs and exe tools and re-link everything for stage one and
two -- tedious but works.

> So the real question is: does GDAL need ngpython, xerces, jasper and
> postresql? (I know grass is needed, but the guide suggest to build GDAL
> first without it, and then rebuild it with grass support enabled).

GDAL needs none of those for the basic libraries to build. Xerces is an
XML parser. It's needed for GDAL to be able and access web mapping
services. NGPython is for GDAL Python bindings. Only interesting if you
intend to directly script-programm GDAL using Python. Jasper adds
another raster image format support to GDAL.

You have to first build and install GDAL without GRASS support.
Then configure and build GRASS (it will detect GDAL correctly and enable
GDAL support, even though no GRASS support is enabled in GDAL at this
stage!). Install GRASS. Then  reconfigure GDAL with GRASS support, build
and install again. That should do it.

Benjamin