[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-PSC] GRASS 7 planning

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sat Feb 9 05:32:41 EST 2008

I'd also vote in favour of getting 6.3 out now.
Among other things, it will provide a standard code base
for other projects such as QGIS that want to build on
GRASS.

For 6.3.X, I would envision a release that includes work
on the Win32 port, wxGUI/Python stuff and 3D capabilities.

Benjamin

Maris Nartiss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't want to ruin Your optimistic day, but there are yet 44 open
> bugs and 9 (!) submitted patches in old bug tracker
> (http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/?group_id=21).
> Also there is an unreported bug in NVIZ panel code (switching from
> "fly" mode to "eye/center" fail), that I will look into within next
> hours. (Exists in 6.3.0RC4 and current svn trunk)
>
> I'm NOT proposing to delay 6.3.0. Just pointing out, that current bug
> tracking system does not reflect current code quality status.
>
> Release 6.3.0 -> make old bugtracker cleaning day -> backport from 6.4
> -> release 6.3.1 ?
>
> Just my 0.002,
> Maris.
>
> 2008/2/9, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
>> Markus Neteler wrote:
>>> since 6.3.0X is almost settled (remaining bugs can be worked out
>>> later in 6.4.x)
>> Only six more active tickets! Last chance for everyone to have a look.
>>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/roadmap
>>
>>> I would propose to
>>>
>>> - now release 6.3.0
>> draft release announcement here:
>>   http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.3.0-News
>>  (still needs heavy editing; anyone with a osgeo ID can help)
>>
>>> - branch off 6.4.x (where wxgrass and some other development may
>>> continue)
>>> - rename trunk to GRASS 7.0.svn, do heavy renovation there
>>>
>>> We have so many outstanding massive changes to do that we should
>>> not wait any longer.
>>>
>>> See also
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7Planning
>>>
>>> Objections?
>> /me: go go go.
>>

>> Hamish

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany