[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #38: configure.in: wxwidgets and python checks

Ivan Shmakov ivan at theory.asu.ru
Tue Feb 12 02:42:53 EST 2008

[...]

 >> BTW, there're some Python-related Autoconf code in Automake and in
 >> the Autoconf Macro Archive, e. g.:

[...]

 >> At the first glance, `az_python.m4' seems to be the most suitable.
 >> Apparently, it doesn't depend on `python-config', but accesses the
 >> same configuration storage using the ways native to Python.

 >> Is this check suitable for GRASS?

 > Why use anything other than python-config? If some other mechanism
 > produces the same result, there's no benefit; if it produces a
 > different result, it's presumably wrong.

 > If there's a standardised way to do something, using any other
 > mechanism is usually a maintenance headache waiting to happen.

	I guess that the use of `get_config_var('CFLAGSFORSHARED')' is
	as standartised as the use of `python-config'.

	But my point is wider, should a different Autoconf check be
	implemented for every project using Python, or a single macro
	would suffice?  And if the latter, wouldn't it be better to
	adopt the check from the Autoconf macro archive for GRASS?

	Alternatively, the GRASS check for Python may be added to the
	Autoconf macro archive.