[GRASS-dev] Re: testing new svn

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 17 18:01:15 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Martin Landa wrote:

> [I took liberty to cc grass-dev]
>
> Michael,

> Martin:
>>> I am not sure if I am getting the point, you can define alternative
>>> location of wx-config. So find your wx-config for 2.8 and run
>>> --with-wxwidgets=path/to/your/wx-config
>>
>> The problem is that the Mac doesn't have a wx-config. This file seems
>> to be Debian specific, or at least Linux specific.
>
> no, wx-config is not at least Debian or GNU/Linux specific in general.
> However I downloaded wxWidgets source code for Windows/Mac/All and I
> found template for wx-config so I would expect you have wx-config on
> your system too.
>
> /home/martin/smetiste/wxMac-2.8.7/wx-config.in
> /home/martin/smetiste/wxMac-2.8.7/wx-config-inplace.in
> /home/martin/smetiste/wxMSW-2.8.7/wx-config.in
> /home/martin/smetiste/wxMSW-2.8.7/wx-config-inplace.in
> /home/martin/smetiste/wxWidgets-2.8.7/wx-config.in
> /home/martin/smetiste/wxWidgets-2.8.7/wx-config-inplace.in

Yes. I know that this is in the source code. But it is not in the Mac
binary. That is, apparently it does not get built for Mac. I have not
built this myself from source, however. Perhaps it gets built under
some circumstances and not under others on Mac

>> have a file or files that are functionally similar named
>> build_options.py and config.py in /Library/Frameworks/
>> Python.frameworks/Versions/current/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
>> wx-2.8-
>> mac-unicode/wx/build/
>
> Note that wx-config is part of wxWidgets not wxPython.

Right. I realize that to get wxPython, you also need wxWidgets on
Linux. On the Mac, this is not a separate install. However, I'm not
sure, but I think that wxWidgets comes packaged with the wxPython
binaries for Mac. I have a folder /Library/Frameworks/.../wxpython
that holds the wxPython stuff and another /Library/Frameworks/.../wx
that I *think* is wxWidgets stuff. But none of them have wx-config.

Looks like there are only wxWidgets binaries for Debian and Ubuntu.
None for Mac or other platforms (maybe a special installer for Windows).

I'm trying to see if there is some way to compile vdigit for the Mac
without having to compile the entire wxWidgets package (or wxPython)
from source. Among other things, I'm worried what this might do to my
existing wxPython (and I think wxWidgets) installation. This is why
it is important to find out exactly which files vdigit actually needs
in order to compile. Maybe I (and all other people with Mac installs)
already have those files. If not, the next question is do we need to
compile something from source to get them (I hope not), or can we
just grab them from source (e.g., *.h header files)?

Michael