[GRASS-dev] Manpage HTML markup consistency

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:14:55 EST 2008

Hi,

2008/2/26, Patton, Eric <epatton at nrcan.gc.ca>:
> Glynn mentioned DocBook as a possible future doc format...what about XML? Are there
>  any advantages to ever using that format, or is it pretty much the same as using HTML?

Docbook is a semantic markup language -- an XML language [1]. One of
examples can be Mplayer docs system [2], it could be good inspiration
for Docbook-based GRASS manual pages, multi-language based.

>  If we ever wanted to move to XML, or at least make it easier to migrate to it, all html
>  tags would have to be lowercased, as I believe XML expects it. I've written a small sed
>  script to do this already, but I didn't want to modify all 300+ docs and do a massive
>  svn commit if there's no point.

Moving to Docbook would be advantage, if we do not break K.I.S.S.
principle. Another issue for GRASS7.

Martin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docbook
[2] http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/DOCS/