[GRASS-dev] table only creation in v.in.ascii

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jan 10 09:10:18 EST 2008

Unfortunately, it returns DB_OK.
There seems to be some caching going on which I don't quite
understand at the moment.
Starting and stopping the db driver in the right sequence seems
to be important.
Anyway, I solved the problem by doing the deletion at an earlier
point in the program.

Everything seems to work OK now. I'll do some tests with more
complex tables, then post a patch.

Benjamin

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 10/01/08 13:52, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>> OK, I have it almost working except for one annoyance:
>>
>> If the table already exists, then --o should allow the user to
>> overwrite it. Thus, I check for that flag and delete the old
>> table, if it exists, using:
>>
>>   db_delete_table ( connection.driverName, connection.databaseName,
>>                     new->answer );
>>
>> But even so, the next call to
>>
>>   db_execute_immediate()
>>
>> complains about the table still being there and creation of the
>> new table fails.
>> I suppose that db_delete_table() does not delete the table immediately?
>
> db_delete_table() sends a "drop table XYZ" sql query to the database
> backend, so it should delete the table.
>
> Launching
>
> echo "drop table ggg" | db.execute
> followed by
> echo "create table ggg (cat int, value double)" | db.execute
>
> works without a problem.
>
> What does db_delete_table return ?
>
> Moritz

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany