[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-trac] #13: GRASS OGR Module failing

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 16 17:50:14 EST 2008

Hamish wrote:

> > #13: GRASS OGR Module failing
> >  Cygwin/X Output on startup:
> >  Cleaning up temporary files.....
> >  Starting GRASS ...
> >  /usr/local/grass-6.2.3/etc/Init.sh: line 635: tput: command not
> > found
> >  Welcome to GRASS 6.2.3 (2007)
> >  GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
>

> minor-
>
> lib/init/init.sh uses tput to clear the terminal screen. tput is
> provided by the ncurses package which is (judging from the above)
> apparently optional in Cygwin. Should the ncurses package be added to
> the requires: line of the grass62/binary/mswindows/setup.ini file; the
> clearing command in init.sh be changed; or should it be left as-is?
> (because clearing the screen may hide start up errors which may be
> common for Cygwin, so it's a useful debugging "feature")

I would remove the tput from init.sh (personally, I think that script
does too much anyhow). But you'll still need ncurses for several
modules, as well as the -text startup, so I would also be inclined to
list it in the requires: line in setup.ini.

More generally, ncurses is a not-really-optional depdency. We provide
a --without-curses option in the configure script, but code which uses
it doesn't check for "ifneq($(USE_CURSES),)"; you just get lots of
compilation errors.