[GRASS-dev] why d.vect.thematic won't run on WinGRASS - d.mon problem

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:07:33 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:54 AM, grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:53:51 +0000
> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] why d.vect.thematic won't run on WinGRASS -
> 	d.mon	problem
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: GRASS developers list <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
>

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>>> If you just want d.vect.thematic to work with WinGRASS, changing
>>> it to
>>> use GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=TRUE instead of "d.mon start=PNG" would
>>> probably be less work than getting monitors working.
>>
>> In fact, we recently had to change d.vect.thematic to set
>> GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=FALSE so that it's multiple iterations of
>> d.vect would composite in the PNG monitor and then be output as a PNG
>> to the GUI.
>
> You can use GRASS_PNG_READ=TRUE to have it read an existing file at
> startup, rather than starting with a blank "screen". That way, each
> command will overlay the output from previous commands.
>
> --

Glynn,

This sounds like it might be a way out of this dilemma. Can you
explain this setting a it more? Also, once all the commands are
overlayed is there someway to get them to output to a PNG or PNM so
that the GUI can pick it up--since we can't do it with d.mon stop=PNG?

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University