[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS needs TclTk 8.4

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 04:01:08 EST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Michael Barton wrote:

> Actually I tried that and it still didn't work, though maybe for other
> reasons.

Can you say what the exact problem is - detailed description, exact error
message and so on? It seems people are trying to help but are just
guessing at what the solution is because the problem isn't clear: "still
didn't work" really isn't very helpful.

A couple more guesses from me:
1) gis.m not starting may be due to the name or path to the wish
executable. Have you tried setting the GRASS_WISH environment variable to
point to this? (either the full path to wish.exe or, if the directory it's
in is already in the path but it has a non-standard name, then just that
name, e.g. wish85.exe) In Windows you can set environment variables by
right-clicking on My Computer on the Desktop and selecting Properties,
then clicking on the Advanced Tab followed by the Environment Variables
button.

2) NVIZ links Tcl/Tk functions into an executable program and is more
complicated in its usage of Tcl/Tk than gis.m.  If you are using GRASS
binaries and they've been compiled against Tcl/Tk 8.4, then it's quite
likely there could be incompatibilities that mean something won't work
with Tcl/Tk 8.5. Perhaps the usual problem that Markus suggested or
something else. Perhaps re-compiling WinGRASS against Tcl/Tk 8.5 would
work here.

Over Christmas, I compiled Tcl/Tk 8.5 myself on Windows and compiled GRASS
against that. Everything seemed to work well and those binaries should be
able to be included in a GRASS binary distribution to reduce the
likelihood of incompatiblities such as Michael seems to be experiencing. I
just still haven't had time to fully document it, but if knowing that it
is possible should be an encouragement to anyone else to try (it was
really quite easy compared to compiling some of the other pre-requisite
binary packages) then I hope this mention will serve that purpose!

Paul