[GRASS-dev] A0-A10 paper size calculations

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 04:08:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 02/07/08 09:07, Hamish wrote:
[...]
>> any requests on what sizes we should include? currently for ISO sizes we
>> only define A0-A4.
>
> I've never seen these sizes with decimals (my usual sources: [1],[2]), so I
> actually think that they are defined rounded to mm.

>From reference [1]:

"The actual millimeter dimensions in the standard have been calculated by
progressively rounding down any division-by-two result, as the small
program iso-paper.c demonstrates. This guarantees that two A(n+1) pages
together are never larger than an An page."

And the results of compiling and running iso-paper.c are:
(looks like a nice complete set of sizes to include!)

4A0 = 1682 mm x 2378 mm
2A0 = 1189 mm x 1682 mm
  A0 =  841 mm x 1189 mm
  A1 =  594 mm x  841 mm