[GRASS-dev] Re: new v.in.geonames: problems with UTF-8 Unicode text

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jul 9 17:23:10 EDT 2008

Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>  >> The only SQLite-specific problem that I see there is that it doesn't
>  >> actually treat the type name as a constraint on the values put into
>  >> that field.  But then, ``garbage in, garbage out'' is the guiding
>  >> principle.
>
>  > Yep. This isn't a problem for tables which are created through the
>  > DBMI, as we can ensure that it accepts whatever it creates. The
>  > problem arises if the user creates or modifies tables externally.
>
> 	Then it becomes the user's responsibility not to exploit this
> 	SQLite-specific feature (or, otherwise, be ready to solve any
> 	inconsistencies that may arise.)

It isn't just about "SQLite-specific" issues.

The question is whether sqlite/describe.c only needs to understand the
types which sqlite/create_table.c itself uses, or whether it needs to
understand all of the "standard" types (i.e. anything defined by one
of the SQL standards, as well as any additional types which are
supported by "popular" RDBMSes).