[GRASS-dev] New WinGRASS Installer

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Fri Jul 11 10:46:22 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm very close to the 6.3.0-4 WinGRASS release; I made some changes to the installer, mainly bug fixing in the sample data download section and changes in the install procedure.

Sample Data Download
----------------------------------

I updated the tarball http addresses (specially to fix http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/189) and the extracted folder names, then I added a new message box before to start the download process; it's something like that: http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/temp/img02.png
if the user press cancel the following message appears: http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/temp/img03.png

Install Procedure
----------------------------------

There are mainly four options that we must consider:

1. FIRST INSTALL

the user is installing GRASS for the first time
No problems. Normal install procedure.

2. UPGRADE INSTALL

the user is installing GRASS over a previous installed and older version;
the following message appears: http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/temp/img04.png
before to install the new version, we need to unistall the old one. The procedure is:

2.1. if OK is pressed, it calls the Uninstaller
2.2. if the user quits the uninstall procedure, the whole upgrade install procedure quits
2.3. if the uninstall procedure succeded, the upgrade install procedure goes on installing GRASS in the same path of the previous installation (so without asking for the install path again)

3. DOWNGRADE INSTALL

the user is installing GRASS over a previous installed and newer version;
the following message appears: http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/temp/img01.png
before to install the older version, we need to unistall the newer one. The procedure is:

3.1. if OK is pressed, it calls the Uninstaller
3.2. if the user quits the uninstall procedure, the whole downgrade install procedure quits
3.3. if the uninstall procedure succeded, the downgrade install procedure goes on installing GRASS in the same path of the previous installation (so without asking for the install path again)

4. REPAIR INSTALL/RE-INSTALL

the user is installing GRASS over a previous installed and same version;
the following message appears: http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/temp/img05.png
the uninstall procedure is not needed here. The procedure simply calls the installer re-asking the user for the install path.

Comments and suggestions are wellcome. Regards,

Marco