[GRASS-dev] New WinGRASS Installer

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Sat Jul 12 04:23:43 EDT 2008

Hi Moritz,

> In this image, the installer suggests that it will install a newer version
> of GRASS which is 6.3.0-4 instead of 6.3.0-3. In my understanding these
> are not two different versions of GRASS, but rather two different versions
> of the installer. If this is not correct, then it shouldn't be 6.3.0 in
> both cases. If it is correct, then why resinstall GRASS ?

sorry, I'm late... yesterday night I had my first "friends, music and beer
meeting" since last 3 months... so... you can understand :-)

yes, there's something to discuss here. You're right when you say that it's
not a different version of GRASS, it's still 6.3.0, but it's not exactly a
simple different version of the installer. Yes, the installer may be
different, but I usually release a new "installer" (that is a new binary
release) when I introduced changes in GRASS or its dependencies binaries
(adding new supports to GRASS or updating dependencies); that is because
WinGRASS is still at a high development stage, and it may happen that,
between source releases, I add new features or complete some To-Do items
about supports/dependencies.

This said, could we replace the word "version" in the message box with
"binary release" or simply "release"? that would be, actually  more
"honest"; do you agree?

Regards,

Marco