[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jul 23 11:42:13 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 6:38 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
>>> Mac OS X 10.5 comes with TclTk aqua 8.4 and 8.5. But I also have to
>>> install an x11 version that I compile (in /usr/local/tcltk) in order
>>> to compile and run GRASS with the standard x11 tcltk.
>>
> Actually, OSX 10.5 only comes with 8.4 Aqua.

Well, I don't remember installing 8.5 (though the absence of memory is
not necessarily a memory of absence in my case). It doesn't look to be
an Active States installation and I'm sure that I didn't compile 8.5
aqua. So I'm not sure where it came from if it didn't come with some
system update.

>> I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that Togl is being compiled with the
>> 8.5 headers but linked against the 8.4 library.
>>

> That's certainly possible.  I have to watch some projects when I
> compile them when I want to use dependencies that I've built newer
> versions than are available in the system - if the project adds -L/
> usr/lib to the linking, the system version will usually link instead
> of mine.  Since /usr/lib is always in the default link path, it's
> not needed.  OSX -L ordering rules in the linker are a bit different
> than linux, and can be troublesome at times.
>
> GRASS is good about this, but there are a couple things in the
> system that can add that, from .la info or config scripts.
>
> Michael, for the line that links nviz, do you see -L/usr/lib?

Where do I look for this?

Michael