[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jul 23 12:13:49 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

>> Actually, OSX 10.5 only comes with 8.4 Aqua.
>
> Well, I don't remember installing 8.5 (though the absence of memory
> is not necessarily a memory of absence in my case). It doesn't look
> to be an Active States installation and I'm sure that I didn't
> compile 8.5 aqua. So I'm not sure where it came from if it didn't
> come with some system update.

What comes with OSX is in /System/Library/Frameworks, and all that is
in my system is 8.4.  If you have 8.5 in /Library/Frameworks, then
that that must have been installed by something.

>> Michael, for the line that links nviz, do you see -L/usr/lib?
>
> Where do I look for this?

I don't have a recent compile log handy, but I think you can search
for "-o nvwish" in the Terminal after compiling.  But then...

> ./configure
>  --with-tcltk-includes="/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers /
> Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers /Library/Frameworks/
> Tk.framework/PrivateHeaders"

In my local notes, I set --with-tcltk-libs=/usr/local/lib.  Without
that, the 8.5 includes are used, but the libraries are found in /usr/
lib, which are the 8.4 libs.

This assumes that there are symlinks to the frameworks in /usr/local/
lib.  I don't remember if the aqua tcltk build automatically adds
these or not, or if the binaries available (ie Activestate) include
these.  Ideally, I think GRASS needs to detect a framework TclTk Aqua
and use -framework Tcl -framework Tk instead of -ltcl -ltk to link
tcltk, then the symlinks and -L flag would not be necessary.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin